We are glad to inform you that each year on 18th April UNO celebrates World Heritage Day. Coincidently we have formed the World Heritage Club.
With this club we will plan activities to enhance our knowledge and overall awareness about these sites. Some of the events you should expect in the coming months are Paragraph Writing, Poster and Collage making, Quiz and Speech competition. We already have few active members of the club and looking for more of you.
These events will provide us an opportunity to know and care more about the sites gifted to us by our ancestors. It is expected that our interest in History and Geography subjects will improve and will be better engaged in learning about our country through continuous research and sharing. This learning should help students score more marks in these subjects.
We expect support and encouragement from each one of you and our respected teachers. Kindly watch out for these events as they unfold. More information will be shared in the coming weeks through this forum and the website specially designed to interact and share more information on this topic will be formally launched soon.
I will now share with you some interesting facts and details about these sites:
· At present we are having 23 cultural and 5 natural heritage sites in India listed by UNESCO (United Nations Educational Social Cultural Organization)
· Our country has a potential of more than 1000 heritage sites in the NCR region itself that can be included as world heritage sites
· With over 1200 heritage buildings in the city, 173 are under central protection of the Archeological Survey of India and about 50 more with the state government
· Delhi is one of the most historically rich cities in the world
· The state government is seriously contemplating sending a proposal to UNESCO for getting Delhi a world heritage city tag.
We look forward for many more meetings and such quick updates in the days and months to come. I invite you all to this collective learning process through discovering the ancient past.
Now if you want to know anything more about this club you may contact the following:- 1. Sarthak Baijal of class 8D from DPS MK 2. C.S.Vignesh of class 8A from DPS MK